FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

4167 questions

4739 answers

3460 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
in Vehicle tracking by anonymous

Hi,

What is the main difference between FMC130 vs FMM130 in terms of telecommunication technology?

I've checked that it is 4G (LTE) vs LTE CAT M1/NB IoT but I already checked around and still can't understand this difference?
What is the difference in simple words? What cannot LTE CAT M1/NB IoT do compared to 4G?

Thanks,

by anonymous
Hello,

Ok, so these are two relatively new protocols.  And they are used in different parts of the world.  Both of them use less power, and are slower than normal 4G devices.  This makes them cheaper to manufacture and also gives them much better battery life.  Speed is still enough for normal telematic uses.

CAT M1 seems to be used a lot in north america and europe, (but not much in the UK).  only one carrier in UK has it.

NB IOT is used in other places. (unsure where exactly, but I know indonesia is working on some roll out in some areas)

Australia supports both, but many countries only support one, or none. Africa for example has very little CAT M1 and maybe no NB-IOT.

You will probably not notice any difference in the way they work, or even speed. It should work just the same. I have used other telematics in both CATM1 and regular 4G and there is not difference at all in the way they work. CATM1 and NBIOT are great, but the catch is that you can only use them on CATM1 and NB-IOT networks respectively, and not regular 4G (which is referred to as CAT1)

I hope this helps a little.

All the best - L

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello there,

Thank you for your query.

CAT M1 (FMM devices) is a network designed for IoT devices. The power requirements that this network has, are lower than LTE CAT 1 (FMC devices) making it suitable for IoT sensors/devices, which generally work with batteries. 

In this link, you will find a brief comparison between both technologies: https://wiki.teltonika-gps.com/view/Easy_Trackers#Difference_between_FMM_and_FMC_series_devices

Best regards.