FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

4167 questions

4739 answers

3460 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
+2 votes
in Vehicle tracking by
I'd like to be able to estimate how much data is passed  through the network in general tracking from an FMB204, before I look at M2M. sim suppliers.

How many bytes is a typical update for position/speed/ IO status?

If the send interval is 120, does it only send the data at that point, or are all the logged data points in between the send interval buffered and sent at the send interval too?

e.g. with default settings and send interval of 120, and varied road types and speeds, (but continuous movement) what would the average throughput be on a 1 hour journey?

1 Answer

+2 votes
by

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your question.

Typical AVL packet consists of:

1. Technical structure bytes (15 bytes)

2. AVL data packet containing all the information about the location and I/O parameters (30 - 768 bytes depending on the configuration). Each additional I/O element sent will add up to 9 bytes of data.

Additionally, transport protocols are important when considering data usage. You can choose between using UDP and TCP protocols. TCP will use more data but will provide a more reliable communication. Thus data consumption really depends on the configuration of the device.

According to the documentation:

TCP: to send 45 bytes of useful data, 342 bytes are used for transport.

UDP: to send 56 bytes of useful data, 23 bytes are used for transport.

Using default configuration and sending records every 120 seconds we got the following results:

TCP: 10KB

UDP: 3KB

Also worth noting, during the test extra records generated in response to changes in distance/speed/angle were disregarded. 

Have a nice day and please don't hesitate to contact us, if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Support team.

by
Hello,

Your findings were based on how much time?