FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

4167 questions

4739 answers

3460 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
in Vehicle tracking by
Device FMB3001

When configuring the Odometer and Speed readings for the device I get to choose between OBD and GNSS.

The GNSS option is clear. The device uses the time and distance between two positions to determine the speed and odometer value.

However, how does this work for odometer and speed if OBD option is selected?

For Odometer, there was another topic explaining that only devices with LVCAN can read the actual dashbord odometer of the vehicle. FMB3001 does not have LVCAN. So if OBD option cannot read the actual dashnoard value, what value does it report?

For Speed, if OBD option is selected does it report the actual vehicle speed as seen on the dashboard, i.e. obtained from the vehicle ECU?

Thank you, any information is greatly appreciated!

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi.

First of all, we are speaking about FM3001, not FMB3001, right?

> only devices with LVCAN can read the actual dashbord odometer of the vehicle. FMB3001 does not have LVCAN.

LVCAN accessory is needed for devices, those do not have OBD interface. Since FM3001 is OBDII Plug and Play kind of device, it can work with OBD (CAN) out of the box.

> The GNSS option is clear. The device uses the time and distance between two positions

BTW there exists other method -  Doppler-shift based. IDK though, which one Teltonikas use.

by
Hi,

The device is FM3001, correct.

The question, however, stays unanswered.

If i slelct OBD as source for Odometer and Speed, what are those values? Are they actually read from the vehicle PIDs or they represent some sort of calculated by the device data?

Thanks.
by anonymous

> If i slelct OBD as source for Odometer and Speed, what are those values? Are they actually read from the vehicle PIDs

Yes, of course. OBDII PIDs will be the source.

by
Ok, thank you!

Any idea why those values from OBDII (odometer and speed) are not shown in configurator?

Asking this since it will be good to know during the initial configuration whether the values are reported by the car. If the files are not reported the configuration should be changed later on to report via gnss. This of course is more complicated and a lot more time consuming.