FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

4167 questions

4739 answers

3460 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
in Vehicle tracking by
Hi everybody,

I have a few FM3001 devices and I need to determine instant fuel consumption. GPS based estimated fuel consumption is not good enough for my needs. I would need to determine it based on OBD data. Other trackers do report instant fuel consumption but I do not know how they determine it. My understanding is they use some sort of algorithm that uses OBD data but I do not know the detail. I've googled for a while and found http://www.windmill.co.uk/fuel.html  that proposes an algorithm based on MAF (Mass Air Flow) and  Speed but I would like to know whether there is a more suitable algorithm for data provided by FM 3001.

Thanks in anticipation,

Claudio

1 Answer

0 votes
by
Hello,

The method that you have proposed has already been tested on the OBD products and the results show that the calculations are not correct for the all cars (for example, in diesel or petrol vehicles with turbocharger we got wrong calculations) and the OBD product does not know which car is connected and can not provide correct calculations. For Petrol and LPG driven vehicles without turbocharger difference from real fuel consuption was about 10-25% (depending on car model and driving style). So we do not recommend using that calculation method,  but if you are sure that this method will be suitable for cars that you use, please contact Teltonika sales managers for development of this functionality on FM3001 device.

Regards
by
Hi,

Thank you very much for your response. Is there any other algorithm based on the data FM3001 provides, that you suggest to obtain instant fuel consumption?

Kind regards,

Claudio