FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

4167 questions

4739 answers

3460 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
in Vehicle tracking by anonymous
Is there a way to recieve both - GPS (counted) and CAN odometers at the same time? I know I can toggle between those as Odometer sources, but in most applications the configuration where both values are sent to server would be beneficial.

I have to display driven distance according to GPS and CAN Odometer for comparison. Currently I calculate GPS distance by looping through all coordinates retrieved from FMB640, but it is very resource intensive when doing the calculation for a whole time period. And kind of doesn’t make sense, when the GPS distance is already calculated by the tracking unit.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

There is a way if you are using CAN adapter. This way you can enable your regular odometer source as GPS and receive this value as total odometer (AVL ID: 16). Then you can also enable Total mileage parameter in LVCAN I/O settings to receive data from CAN adapter (AVL ID: 87).

Regards
by anonymous
In most cases we’re not using CAN adapter as most of our trucks has FMS support. Is something simmilar possible without CAN adapter?
by anonymous
Hello,

Yes, you can get total distance value from FMS. Please have a look at https://wiki.teltonika-gps.com/view/FMB640_Manual_CAN_IO.
by anonymous
Manual CAN is a hassle to set up and maintain, so I was hoping for some kind of natively supported solution.

As far as I understand there is no way to set that up without diving into the well of different CAN protocols, their ids and etc., right?

Thats a shame, because technically everything is there and, as I understand, the only limitation is the missing configuration option. Teltonika could add additional parameter to `I/O Parameters` section, something like `Counted Distance`/`Counted Mileage`/`Counted Odometer`...
by anonymous
Hello,

Yes, in this case, you can only configure it only via Manual CAN settings. This setting is not in the regular I/O section, because it comes from FMS, which is not available in every vehicle, that is why it can not be in the generic I/O settings.

Regards
by anonymous
You probbably misunderstood me. I understand that odometer value itself comes from FMS or LVCAN or KLINE, but a `gps counted total distance` could be available as a separate parameter in regular `I/O` settings. That parameter does not come from FMS. That way it would be possible to set odometer source as any of the available options, but additionally receive `gps counted total distance` if needed, without interfering with odometer source.

As our configuration need is:
- Odometer: comes from specified source (FMS/LVCAN/KLINE)
- Additional parameter that returns GPS counted total driven distance
by anonymous
Hello,

I understand. 'GPS counted total distance' is always available, without any additional equipment. In addition you can configure your device to show another odometer value which can come either from FMS (in this case, as I mentioned, you would require additional steps in configurator, but it is not difficult if you are following wiki instructions), CAN adapter or even K-Line. So, in ideal scenario, you could have 3-4 different odometer values.

Regards