FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

4167 questions

4739 answers

3460 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
in Vehicle tracking by anonymous

1) When using an external automotive relay with Teltonika Trackers, do I need to use a flyback diode across the relay coil, or do your trackers have some sort of internal protection?

The documentation clearly shows how to wire to a relay but it doesn't suggest a protection diode anywhere.

2) Most newer Teltonika trackers (eg. FMB204) show an external automotive relay using N/C contacts (30 & 87a) this means that you need to activate the output to disable the vehicle. If the tracker is cut from the vehicle, then the vehicle is no longer immobilized!

Older Teltonika trackers (eg. FM1204) show an external automotive relay using N/O contacts (30 & 87) this means that you need to deactivate the output to disable the vehicle. If the tracker is cut from the vehicle, then the vehicle is still immobilized.

Why the change? Surely the second scenario is more secure?

1 Answer

+1 vote
by anonymous
Hello Fredkruger,

Good day.Thank you for the question.

Please find the answer to your questions, below:

1) Our devices have overvoltage protection so there is no need for flyback diode.

2) Logic for our devices was always the same. In the second screenshot (FM12), there was a mistake in the photo, apologies on this matter. The photo for FMB140 is correct and that is how our devices work. For the second picture, an inverted DOUT would be needed, which is not supported in a base firmware version.

Hope this clears your doubts.

Kind regards.
by anonymous
Many thanks for your for the reply.

I've have my Teltonika trackers (FM1204 & FMB204) wired as per old FM12 instructions (using relay pins 30 & 87 N/O contacts)

I leave both outputs turned on permanently, both trackers work perfectly! Only if I want to immobilize the vehicle I turn the outputs off via the mobile app).

I'm trying to understand the benefits of the way you promote ( using relay pins 30 & 87a - N/C contacts) for vehicle immobilization. All someone has to do to bypass the immobilizer is either cut the tracker wiring completely, or remove the fuse supplying power to the tracker. If someone wants steal the vehicle they might remove they tracker anyway!

Someone please educate me.
by anonymous
Hello there,

Good day. Thank you for the reply.

The solution to this is using inverted DOUT. If inverted DOUT is used, the immobilizer will not be deactivated if the device is removed, because the immobilizer MUST be deactivated, by activating DOUT. If the device is removed, naturally, DOUT will not be activated, thus the vehicle will be immobilized. The inverted DOUT will be available in the future base firmware versions. Kindly contact your Sales Manager to obtain more information on the timeframe for the release of this firmware. If you don't have any contacts with our Sales managers, please contact them on our official website https://teltonika-gps.com/ and click on the "Contact Us" button. When you will click, please fill the form and submit it.

Note: as a topic, please choose "Vehicle telematics" or you can send an e-mail with the description of your situation to info@teltonika.lt

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards.
by anonymous
Is the inverted DOUT  available in the latest firmware yet?