FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

4167 questions

4739 answers

3460 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
in Vehicle tracking by

Hello,

I'm trying to understand how we can get diagnostic trouble codes from an OBD tracker remotely. We are specifically looking for this remotely, so bluetooth doesn't help. I understand a request can be made by SMS but these are the queries I still have (I've not been able to find answers in documentation):

1. Can OBD fault codes be retrieved by default/periodically without SMS or BT request? If so, using which OBD devices?
  2. When requested by SMS, is the data returned by SMS or can be be sent to the designated server/host?
  3. This page says DTCs can be sent as an I/O element. However, I can't find this documented against the listed devices. I'm currently testing an FMB020 and it's not listed as an I/O option. How should we send DTCs as an I/O element?

Thanks in advance for any help.

R.

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello.

1. Fault codes can be retrieved via periodic records, you need to enable them in OBDII tab, set at least low priority and operand on monitoring. And in System tab (in the configurator) under Data Protocol settings Codec 8 Extended has to be enabled.

2. When requested by SMS, answer is usually returned by SMS. There is SMS command "getrecord" which initiates creation of high priority record which would then be immediately sent to the server.

You can look up SMS commands and what they do here: https://wiki.teltonika-gps.com/view/FMB020_SMS/GPRS_Commands

3. I have already answered in the first question how to enable DTC codes an an I/O element. You are using FMB020 which is an OBD device, but it is the one that does not support OBD parameter reading. FMB002 is the one that can read OBD parameters.

There is and "obdinfo" command which is used when OBD device is connected to the vehicle, SMS containing this command is sent and answer is returned, you get PID values which can be decoded and then you can know what parameters can be read from the vehicle using this device, not all vehicles give out same number of parameters via OBD.

Information regarding PID decoding can be found here: https://wiki.teltonika-gps.com/view/How_to_check_available_OBDII_data%3F

Hope that helps.

Best Regards
by
Thank you for this. We are in fact waiting on an FMB002; however, it looks like stock is limited everywhere. Is there another OBD device capable of returning DTCs as I/O (that's currently available)?
0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

Other device's that can read the DTC's (except for the already mentioned FMB002) are FMB001, FM3001, FM4001, FMM001, FMC001.

Hope this helps.
by anonymous
Hello.

There is no device by the name FM4001 currently available. But I can also mention that FMB003 is capable of reading OBD parameters, whether it can read DTCs depends on the vehicle itself.

Best Regards